Thursday, August 21, 2008

How I spent my weekend

So as I've previously mentioned I took a Doula training course. I took it as a leg up when it comes to birth photography. As I thought about it I realized that it would be a great compliment to the volunteer work I already do with women and families at the Association for New Canadians.

Fast forward to this past weekend where I had the distinct privilege of supporting this wonderful lady as she had her 7th child. She had a long and difficult labour and faced some fears of birthing in a new country. Her wonderful friend was able to help translate and between us all we were quite a team.

Baby Boy, 7lbs 6oz. Happy and healthy.

I was not there as a photographer . .. but I did take photos. I did not take any photos leading up to or including the birth because I was busy focusing (no pun intended) on mom's needs. After baby arrived mom collapsed into the pillow and dozed on and off . . . I snuck away on and off to see the sweet sweet babe.

I will gift her with a set of images. These are a few from that set:

I think I'll send a few to this nurse as well. There is nobody in the world more comfortable with newborns than delivery room nurses.









Mom's wonderful friend. We should all be so lucky as to have friends like her. Here she is showing off baby to the doctors.



Baby is checking me out!



I sang him happy birthday and he really liked it.



I am not going to post many of mom here. She was in and out of sleep and utterly exhausted.




But by the next day she was in fine form. Amazing what a little sleep can get you! Check out baby, he was so alert and ready to take on the world. I think he looks like he is a pretty smart little fellow.




And lastly, mom agrees that wee little babes look pretty funny in their big seats.



It was my pleasure and joy to be there. I am so grateful that I am able to help another woman in this way. It was a great way to spend a weekend, even if I do have to work double time to make up the time I was away!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Donna. Continue with your good work and enjoy. Wendy J