Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mummers Parade

So just before Christmas this fair town held a mummers parade. What is a mummer you ask? Well, according to an online dictionary it is "A masked or costumed merrymaker, especially at a festival." In Newfoundland this definition needs further explanation. Around these parts, it was tradition to dress up in any random clothes, underwear and sheets and go visiting house to house at Christmastime. The idea is to hide ones identity, knock on a door and ask "any Mummers 'lowed in?". If the answer is yes then in they go, to dance or play music and generally carry on. Usually the host will offer a drink or treat. The host is to try and guess the identity of the mummers. Then on to the next house they go.

Today this tradition is dying away. In this era of making an appointment to visit three weeks in advance, and text message confirmation, the idea of dropping n unannounced is losing favour.

Well a mummers parade is the next best thing. So a group was formed and people came out, dressed as foolish as they could. Myself and the family joined in the fun. My kids were so into it they must have had a hundred extra items on. We had about a 1/2 hour parade through the streets, ending at the Rooms for snacks and music. It was a blast and I hope that it becomes a yearly event.

P.S. I'd let mummers in at Christmastime. ;) No text messages needed.

Here are my kids and my husband and myself. I can't tell you who is who, that would spoil the fun.









There were a dozen or so great horse puppet things. If I can figure out what they are called I'll come back and edit this post!! This wooden one was a standout.






March march march.



We arrive!

No comments: