Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New (old) cameras

So I had an epiphany. I decided that with the way I shoot 35mm I need a rangefinder. I like the look of photos taken with a rangefinder. I like the history of rangefinders.

I also wanted a small camera I could just throw in my purse and have whenever I needed it. 35mm SLR is just too darned bulky for that. I want no big lenses, no battery packs . . . just easy. I have small hands and really like the size of rangefinders.

Although I'd like to go out and get a new Leica m7 on a whim, I thought some research was my best bet.

Step one? Find out if I even liked using a rangefinder! So different than SLR and I had never used one in my life. So I bought a Canonet GIII from a guy locally . . . nothing fancy but a reported sharp lens and decent meter.

Long story short . . . I LOVE it! 1st roll was 36 frames, all in focus. Camera itself is so small and cute and easy to use. It has found a home in my purse and I vow here and now to take more snapshots of the kids.

Next step? Find a rangefinder with removable lenses and build a system that will allow me to get rid of 35mm SLRs completely. Do all 35mm work with a rangefinder.

Two Leica bodies and some lenses . . . we are looking at 20+ grand. I'll need to do a leica promotion. A fundraising benefit concert. Something. Anything other than saving and patience!!

Anyway . . . here are a few snapshots from that test roll.

Dirty mirrors add character to self portraits.



Husband with a handy beard for lens sharpness test.



Snapshot! Kid doing homework! Easy!



My boy jumping on his great grandfather. Moving(ish) subject focus test.



The same guy that sold me the Canonet had a Yashica Mat for sale so I bought that too. I have had TLRs in the past, but they have never worked. I ran a roll of film through this but did something wrong, not sure, but only 1/2 the frames fired. I'll need to sit down and see if it is my error or another broken camera. Either way, here is my boy and his Great Grandfather again, TLR style. Oh yes, this is also some Tmax 400 film that expired 12 years ago!! Wow.

3 comments:

Bojan said...

Hey Donna,
Did you check Zeiss Ikon? It might be what you're looking for.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/zeiss-.html

And there is a guy in Burlington, Ontario who is a pleasure to deal with (I order my paper and chemicals through him.) http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/default2.asp

Love the blog :)

donna ramsay said...

Thanks for the Zeiss Ikon link . . . very informative. A camera that costs less than my car can make the short list.

Ooh I got excited at the idea that I could get Adox papers in Canada . . . alas no. Nice to know of all the sources though, makes things easier.

p.s. Thanks for the love. I'll throw it back at you because your handy links on FB make my web surfing a lot easier. Always interesting.

heather bowes said...

yah! this is what I was waiting to hear :-).
enjoy!