Friday, May 30, 2008

Birth Photography - women (and babes) wanted

Two weekends ago I was proud to take part in a DONA certified training course to become a Birth Doula. A Doula is a woman who supports another woman through her labour and birth and who strive to help women and their partners to have a satisfying childbirth and postpartum experience. There were 21 women total who took the course and rest assured there is no better group of women that could have participated. All of us share the same goals of helping women in this province to have the births they desire. Previously there was little choice when it came to labour support, if one were to deliver in NL.

A great article appeared recently in the Telegram and featured a recently trained Doula. There is also an article on the Doula project that I am a part of listed underneath.: Doula Article

I took the course for more than the selfless desire to help other women. I am also very interested in doing birth photography. As a child and family photographer I am genuinely interested in children and feel that it would be a great honour to witness and document a new child arriving in the world. The Doula training is merely to help ensure I am as sympathetic, helpful and courteous to parents (and health care professionals) as I can possibly be.

What I am offering is a full book of black and white images, documenting from the pregnancy stage through labour and birth. Options would be all images as 4x6 in a traditional album or all images in a press printed leather bound book. A true treasure for years and years to come.

What I need is one brave woman . . . willing to be the model for my sample book that will be shown to prospective women in the future as well as featured on my website and/or other promotional materials.

The ideal candidate would be a woman with previous uncomplicated deliveries who is due very very soon.

The first birth session will be offered free of charge. This is a first come first serve offer.

Most important: She MUST SIGN A RELEASE so that I may use the images. Since it is, after all, the point of offering up the session for free. ;)

Ladies may e-mail me at donna@donnaramsay.com for more information . . .

Here are some hospital pics from a friends ginormous (11lb2oz I think?) newborn babe and another of a babe whose mother I supported through her labour and birth.






I am very excited!!!

No comments: