Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Our friend Olivia

So a while back my boy dropped my Bronica. That's right. Like a scene from a movie I dove in a slow motion attempt to catch it . . . and missed by a centimeter. I gasped and cried when I saw it fall into pieces.

After scooping up the bits I laid them aside and refused to deal with it. I thought by putting it out of my head I'd manage to save my relationship with my kid. ;)

Well a few weeks later I was growing very tired of tiny 35mm negatives and thought it time to deal with the Bronica. I pulled it all out and sat down and sized up the damage. The viewfinder and the lens were a loss. Busted. The body though, I thought I'd try and repair. It took some very tiny screwdrivers, a pair of pliers and a hammer . . . but I fixed it! I ordered another viewfinder and waited for it to show up.

One day Olivia was at my house with her brother and mother for a playdate. Having recently received the viewfinder I used her to test the newly repaired camera . . . lo and behold it works! I am very excited.

In an ironic twist one of my 35mm bodies went on the fritz at a recent session. Luckily I have more than a couple of 35mm bodies and it was fine . . . but it pushed me to order more medium format gear. And with that I thank every photographer that goes digital and sells their medium format gear on ebay for a steal. You just made my day.

Anyway . . . here is Olivia, so big that she can hold her bottle. That IS big!



1 comment:

jto said...

coooooooooooooooool!!