Tuesday, May 7, 2013

7 of 31 - A Post a Day in May

Instagram. I think it's very fun. And it's photography. I love photography. Needless to say I enjoy Instagram.

donzaramsay is my name there. It's also my name on twitter. Apparently there is another Donna Ramsay out in the world who keeps stealing my identity. So Donza it is. You can call me that in real life if you want. I'm like George on Seinfeld who tries to create his own nickname. Donza.

Everywhere you go there are people taking pictures on their phones. At my daughters recent dance recital everyone - and I mean everyone - was using a phone to take photos. Wait I forgot about the lady using an iPad. No excuse for her. (Please don't use iPad to take pictures in public, you look like an idiot).

I don't think there is anything wrong with using an iPhone to take pictures. It's the camera you always have so it makes perfect sense. The problem is when it's your only camera and you have 4000 photos and have never printed one. Or when you have 4000 pictures on your phone and 2500 that made it to instagram and you haven't printed any of those either. Or a few years go by and you have 10000 instagramed and still haven't printed any and now it's going to cost a fortune and it's all too overwhelming so you don't even bother.

What happens to all those photos? All those dance recitals and first days of school and first teeth and visits with the cousins? Where are all those photos? Gone. Poof.

So today I was thinking of this blog post and I did something I've been meaning to do. I ordered a book of Instagram photos. Mine are mostly my kids and my animals in everyday type setting - snapshots. As happy as I am to have these photos I will be so much happier in 10/20/50 years when I'm looking at the little book of photos and not sadly remembering the day I dropped my phone in the toilet.

I ordered a few minibooks from here. I plan to order posters or maybe some prints for the walls of my soon to be finished rec room. I'm not waiting for any untils or whens. I'm starting today and I hope you do too.



No comments: