Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Post a day in May - 2 of 31

This spring marks 10 year anniversary of trading portraits for money. I'll use that as an excuse/motivation to update my online portfolios, revisit some old favourites and talk about techniques and other fun photography type blog stuff that's all about me and my work. 

Today I'll talk about film edges. This is not a talk about photoshop frames or instagram filters. This is the real deal - printing with the edges of the negative showing on the paper (alternative to cropping them out). 

It's a look that I love because it's so "filmy". It also requires that I shoot with an eye for composition and proves that I'm not creating my composition after the fact. This is a source of pride for me. There is nothing wrong with cropping after the fact (and I of course do it on occasion) but I find it harder than composing while I'm looking at the scene. Fact is - I'm lazy and would much rather print full frame, and including the edges adds an artsy look to the final product. I frame them with a white mat cut to show the edges and a bit of the white paper. Beautiful!

Because I scan negatives when showing images online I don't have that lovely film edge. It's something I am going to pay attention to and try and scan more prints instead. 

This is a self portrait made soon after my first in-house darkroom. Maybe 9 years ago? 




And this is from a recent session. One parent has an interesting job using digital photography and as a result really liked the film edges showing on these portraits. 

First is a 35mm negative. If you look really closely you can see sprocket holes (which I print dark on purpose, otherwise I find them distracting).

Second one is a Holga image from same session. Holga's almost always get printed with film edges, I insist. Holga is a medium format camera so no sprocket holes to be found. 





No comments: